Monday, January 8, 2007

Two Adwords ad tips that just keep delivering

Here are two things that keep improving my Google Adwords clickthroughs.

1. Use Title Case for the URL in your ad.

For example:

A) www.yourdomain.com/buyyourcar

B) www.YourDomain.com/BuyYourCar

In all instances I've tested B will outpull A. In my latest test, the difference was 1.3% clickthrough rate against 2.7%. That's more than double the CTR from one small change. You HAVE to test this. Remember, higher CTR, higher ad positioning for the same price.

2. Use words that evoke emotion

I've had my CTR jump from 2.9% to 4.8% by incorporating a word like "astonishing" in my ad, especially the headline. That's just one example. These guys seldom fail to give you a CTR boost if you use them wisely. Test it and see what happens. Here's a list of emotional words you should use and test in your ads to save you the pain of dreaming them up yourself.

No-holds-barred
Breakthrough
Astonishing
Instant
Discover
Urgent
Critical
Guaranteed
High-Voltage
Unbeatable
Innovative
Phenomenal
Unique
Incredible
Enhanced
Electrifying
Super
Tactics
First
Critical
Booming
Amazingly
Appetizing
Astonishing
Revealed
Revolutionary
Secrets
Time-Sensitive
Trailblazing
Step-By-Step
Unforgettable
In-Depth
Invaluable
Ingenious
Pioneering
Proven Techniques
Irresistible
Powerful
Shocking
Spectacular
Unlimited
How-to
YOU

Many people aren't using these two simple techniques. As far as positioning is concerned, CTR is king with Adwords - your ad will get closer to the top without you having to pay more if you have a high CTR. For example, I've just been able to lower my max bid for one of my ad groups by 10c per click. My ads are still in the top 2 positions regardless thanks to my CTR, and I'm paying about 8c - 10c less per click.

You don't hear me complaining.

More Adwords tips soon, plus I'll be testing smaller PPC search engine GoClick.com to see if they're worth your time. You can still get clicks on competitive keywords for a few cents here, but the proof as they say is in the pudding. Can GoClick deliver 1) enough traffic and 2) quality traffic? Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home